I have fond memories of eating pancakes while watching Saturday morning cartoons. Yes, that was years and years ago (and today, actually), but the thoughts still make me smile. My dad has his recipe we call #1 Pancakes. They’re called #1 because you need 1 of almost every ingredient — 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk, 1 egg…you get the point. Yesterday, Target put blueberries (one of my favorite berries!) on sale just for me, and I woke up this morning dreaming of blueberry pancakes. I figured I could easily incorporate one cup (really, would any other amount be appropriate?) of fresh blueberries into the #1 Pancakes. It worked! File this under “things to make when guests come over.”
1 cup milk (I used skim milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional, but a tasty addition)
1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and DRIED. (Wet blueberries will create a mess. Ask me how I know…)
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until smooth.
4. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. When warm, coat with cooking-spray.
6. Pour a 1/2 cup of batter on the pan. Cook until the top begins to barely bubble, and the bottom is golden brown (or lighter or darker, depending on your preference). Flip, and cook until the other side is also golden brown.